Sunday, February 3, 2008

Addison Came With a Bang


On Monday, January 21st, we had one of many teasers that Addison may be on her way before her actual due date of February 22, 2008. We had our actual Dr's appointment to check how we both were doing, when they realized I had encountered a high blood pressure problem for the first time. The main problem had always been my sugar levels, but with the insulin and the strict diet we thought we had it under raps. As it turns out, my blood pressure was through the roof for my normal numbers and the protein in my urine was extremely beyond normal levels, which meant we were in for a rough ride. I had been trying to adhere to the strict guidelines of only getting out of bed to use the facilities and let others take care of me, but in today's society thats a hard thing to order-help! So from her office, we were quickly admitted to triage for Labor and Delivery as they monitored me and her for over 5 hours. Poor daddy as he sat there in those uncomfortable chairs with no snacks, even though I told him to carry those snacks Joe and Tina had purchased for him. At least he had his book to contend with to keep him calm from worry. They finally let us go home with strict guidelines to go straight home and into bed to lay on my left side.

My woman's intuition (God's still small voice is what it should be called) kicked in and I told Dale to go to Island's in Chino Hills to feed us and from there I could get to Motherhood to purchase needed items I'd put off for February. After a nice Tuna Sandwich, we went to purchase some prego pj's, nursing bras, and a robe. From there I told him if they keep me on Wednesday, which is when I was supposed to go back, and they induce labor, she would need a preemie outfit, so we went to Carter's and daddy bought her first preemie outfit.

With due diligence, I stayed in bed! OK, those of you who know me well, Dale monitored my every move and made me stay in bed until my left hip felt as if it would fall off. The next day, we went back to Triage to get monitored again and after about 3 hours, we knew we were not going anywhere. It was a mixture of overwhelming confusion and relief for all we had been through in the last 8 months of pregnancy.

During our hospital stay, they had to administer Magnesium Sulfate to keep me from going into seizures during the delivery, which was just atrocious. It makes you feel hot, groggy, and like you're coming out of your skin. I can't explain how horrible you feel, but know that I wouldn't want that again in my near future. You're not allowed to eat with that stuff in your blood system as they do not want you to lose your meals, nor do they want you to have ice or water. How fun is that when you're thirsty and sweating up a storm? They then start to get all your vital signs in the normal ranges, so that from there they can administer Pitocin and place a bulb in the cervix to get it dilated to induce the labor. Well, after the labor pains start to increase I opted for the Epidural (light version, since it would be another 10 to 20 hours to have her naturally), which was a nice break being that I was only 1 centimeter for a few hours. They then checked on the bulb to see if I had increased to 4 centimeters and all seemed good until we heard the gushing sound of water break! She then checked to see how far the cervix had increased when she realized that Addie's umbilical cord had come with the gush, so she held Addie up to not pinch the cord (Oxygen supply for her) and called a Code Crash C.

Instantly everything went from slow to 120 in 60 seconds and out of nowhere the whole team appeared, unlocked my bed, grabbed the Ivy, unhooked this and that and wheeled me from one room to the surgery room. Since my epidural was a light one, they had to knock me out under general anesthesia. And yes, for the first time in my life I was scared. Normally, I say God take me if it's my time, but this time, all I could think about was Addie needs her mommy to stick around. Yes, those thoughts did come to plague my mind only because I do not do well when under medication. I went in and Addie came out in less than 10 minutes!

Addie, my precious Addie, God was holding her hand, sustaining her lungs, and gave her strength of a full term baby. She only visited the ICU and never had to stay. She got to have her first shot, bath, be held by those wonderful arms of daddy, had the paparazzi taking picture after picture, got to be monitored by all the lovely equipment of Kaiser, and once again got to be loved by daddy while mommy was somewhere in La La Land. Another miracle for the Melton family, that a 4 lb 9 oz child would come out with wonderful healthy lungs, able to suck on her own and not have to stay in ICU. She got to move on with the other big babies of normal weight and birth were held-the nursery! To have her placed in our home and have such a bang in coming out and then be so healthy, you have to agree that Someone was watching over this household!

As for me, 4.5 hours later and them debating to put me in ICU or let me go to a regular room they finally let Dale have me. And no, I did not get to see my little one that night. I did see lots of cameras in my face telling me what she looks like, but it all seems like a blur now when you're still sedated by Lord knows what. As it is I vaguely remember those who were present, Dale, my mom, Auntie Tina, Uncle Paul & Aunt Dawn, Auntie Norma and I heard that Dale's Uncle Paul & Aunt Ruth and Mema Melton were there too. And yes, I had my own miracle, as they say I had much difficulty coming out and then all the other complications they had to deal with me as I will never forget what happened behind closed doors, but at the same time do not want to recant those moments as they were nightmares! But to see those nightmares replaced by my hubby's smile and her being placed in my arms with just us three alone in the morning. I can barely gasp for air and keep these eyes dry as I felt the warmth of her little body placed on me and Dale kissing me so tenderly showering me with accolades that only a husband, a new father could give his love. Oh, I will never trade those moments for a million dollars nor to never experience life being brought out of undying love for each other and through all these years the encouragement that we gave each other and the love we doted on each other is just bliss exhilaration at this point.

Addison Iliana Melton has graced us in ways that words can never express. It's just the gushy mushy feeling you get inside, like butterflies hitting your belly or the first day of school, or the minute before you enter the threshold as the music is played and your father places your hand in the crock of his arm and ushers you into the church to meet your husband. It is life and the memories that are created that makes every day worth living and remembering for years to come. And as her name means daughter of Adam & God has answered, we are pleased that He selected us to have her grace our lives and soften our hearts beyond recognition.

2 comments:

Gina said...

Congratulations to you and Dale! I can't wait to meet little Addison.

The Melton Family said...

I can't wait for you to meet her too. Maybe we can plan to meet up at the coffee house during a non-busy time. She's a preemie, so we're supposed to limit or not have her in public until she's older.

October Celebrations to come...

Daddy-October 13
Uncle Paul - October 27
Antony "Fred" - October 31